Have you ever searched for local sources of beef, pork, and other meats in the Austin, San Antonio, or Houston areas? If so, you may have discovered that it can be quite challenging to find them. However, the benefits of purchasing directly from local farmers are worth the effort. Not only do you often get fresher, higher-quality products, but you also support sustainable farming practices and contribute to the local economy. To begin your search, consider visiting farmers' markets in your area, as they frequently host vendors who sell locally raised meats.
Additionally, websites like LocalHarvest.org or EatWild.com provide directories of farms and ranches that offer meat for sale directly to consumers. Don't hesitate to reach out to these farmers; they are usually happy to share information about their farming practices and availability of products.
Another option is to join a Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) program that includes meat options. CSAs allow you to subscribe to regular deliveries of farm-fresh products, often including beef, pork, and chicken.
Lastly, social media platforms and local online forums can be valuable resources for discovering and connecting with local farmers. Joining groups focused on sustainable food or local agriculture can lead to recommendations and insights from others who prioritize locally sourced meats.
This advice is certainly valuable, but as a local beef and pork producer, you won't find me listed in any of those places. I don't have a CSA membership base, nor am I featured on any online lists. You might be wondering how I managed to sell beef and pork directly so successfully. The answer is quite straightforward: I actively sought out my customers. I established a solid website, put up an appealing sign along a heavily traveled road, and dedicated a lot of time to answering questions on Facebook
By being transparent about my farming practices and the care I put into raising my animals, I gained the trust of my community. I also shared recipes and cooking tips, helping my customers make the most of their purchases. This not only enhanced their experience but also strengthened our connection.
Ultimately, the key to my success was being proactive and genuinely passionate about what I do. By focusing on building a community around my products, I was able to create a loyal customer base that supports my farm and values the quality of my meat.
As I grow older, I've adapted my business model because making deliveries has become more challenging, and time constraints have shifted my focus from year-round selling. I would love for you to purchase pork or beef from me, so I've transitioned to hosting pork and beef share events on my farm.
These events typically take place on weekends several times a year in the spring and fall, and you’re welcome to camp out and enjoy a farm tour. We offer cozy cabins with beds for an overnight or two-night stay. Weather permitting, we can even have a campfire, and after processing, you can take home your meat.
If this sounds like something you’d be interested in, please fill out the contact form on this page to express your interest in attending, and I’ll get back to you with all the details.
No comments:
Post a Comment